Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Oh the Finance of It All...

I love finance...I just love crunching those numbers...it's really fun for me. Unfortunately, my students don't always feel the same way...

In my Sports and Entertainment Marketing classes we've been studying the 7 key functions of marketing. This week we're studying finance. Since this is a one-semester course, I don't have the luxury of spending as much time as I would like on the topic; however, I make certain that I cover ratio analysis.

I must be getting better at teaching this...the students had a blast running ratios on Harley-Davidson and then analyzing the results to see if HD would be a good investment--this was our "Guided Practice."

They're "Independent Practice" assignment was to conduct ratio analysis on Nike for the past four years and then interpret the results/trends. They got it! They were able to verbalize what those results/trends meant!! Yeah! Several students started talking about investing in the stock market!

Cool stuff...when they 'get it' it always brings a big smile to my face and reminds of why I teach...

No comments:

Post a Comment