Sunday, August 31, 2008

Goin' the Distance

I watched "Rocky" with my 10-year old son this afternoon--he had never seen the movie before. He was captivated by the story of an underdog who dared to take on 'the champion.' How audacious for someone like Rocky to take on someone like Apollo Creed...

...Everyone loves a hero and Rocky is no different. For better or worse the character of Rocky Balboa epitomises the dream of success and the hope that lives in us all. You know, if you work hard enough, you can break through and achieve your dream...Rocky achieved his dream...he went the distance--he trained to go the distance...not to win--but to 'go the distance.' And, in going the distance, he won.

I think, in a way, the key to life is having the fortitude to 'go the distance,' Life throws us punches, jabs, hooks, and body shots. What distinguishes between those who win and those who lose is the ability to stay with the fight--to 'go the distance'. That's the message I want to impart to both my sons and my students, "Stay with the fight, no matter what...fall down 5 times, get up 6."

I found a short video sums up my mantra..."Go the distance...no matter what punches life throws at you, be willing to get up and keep moving forward...keep moving forward..."


No comments:

Post a Comment