Thursday, August 6, 2009

11.5 More Things: Thing 11-Digital Citizenship

I've been thinking a lot about digital citizenship and how best to teach this to my students. I am glad to see digital citizenship as a part of this online PD series.

As a Career and Technology Education (CTE) teacher, I teach a variety of subjects that involve an enormous amount of computer time. I have norms (rules) that I teach my students--for them to use the lab they must adhere to these policies. I have made netiquette a part of these norms, but I have not developed digital citizenship lessons that outline and teach all nine elements of digital citizenship as outlined by Mike Ribble and Gerald Bailey in their book Digital Citizenship in Schools...until now...

My plan for this year is to integrate all nine elements into my curriculum. My introductory lesson will have the students research the term "digital citizenship" and then have them create a multimedia piece (of their choice) that illustrates the definition of digital citizenship and how they can "live it" both in and out of the classroom.

I found a number of videos about digital citizenship online. I think this one would spark some discussion in class...what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment