Monday, February 9, 2009

Score 1 More for Technology in the Classroom

I stayed home from work today...the flu...

I felt just awful, but I really needed to meet with my Business Education Independent Study class. Today begins their trek into a Junior Achievement Titan competition and they needed to made their first round of business decisions...how can we do that when they are there and I am here? Enter technology...

...I set up a private chat room for us via Chatzy last week so that we could communicate and record our ideas during class I discovered Chatzy while attending the Flat Classroom Conference in Doha, Qatar last month--thanks Julie and Vicki!!. Since I can save text files of the chat room for later reference, we can recall our recorded chats as needed to make decisions for the JA Titan competition. Pretty cool, huh?

I called the substitute and told her what I wanted to do. With her support...well, having access to Chatzy helped make a difficult situation much easier. I was home...they were in class...We all logged into the room and began our chat. We exchanged ideas, scenarios, consequences, etc. Via the chat, the students made informed decisions for their competition.

Once again...I was able to utilize technology to be a 'guide on the side' rather than a 'sage on the stage' in my classroom...man, I love technology!

3 comments:

  1. haha. and I loved it!

    i think eventually, chatzy will take over subs job. well i think for THAT to work, ...wait, i take that back, it could become really hectic and confusing (on chatzy).


    either way, today was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea. I am going to show this to my staff at our next workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I HOPE I'm not replaced by Chatzy!

    ReplyDelete